ANN: DX-Forth 4.56
dxf
2024-06-13 10:28:34 UTC
DX-Forth is a Forth language compiler and development system
for MS-DOS and CP/M-80 operating systems. It is intended to
be a complete, easy to use, programming tool for the creation
of turnkey applications.

What's new:

v4.56 2024-05-10

+ added - removed * fixed ! changed = updated

+ INTEGER HELD (UD.) (H.N)
! DOSLIB: parsing
= BLK2TXT TXT2BLK SCOPY NEWAPP

MS-DOS only:

+ F87XS extended-precision f/p (separate stack)

Downloads:

DXCPM456.ZIP (CP/M-80)
DXDOS456.ZIP (MS-DOS)

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1kh2WcPUc3hQpLcz7TQ-YQiowrozvxfGw
HenryHH
2024-06-15 10:24:59 UTC
Sometimes I want to use a 16-bit Forth system, and in this case
I use DX-Forth running in DOSBox.

DX-Forth is complete, well organized, and it comes with good
documentation.
In my opinion, this is the best 16-bit Forth system that is available
today.

Thank you for the good work and for sharing it with us.

Henry
a***@spenarnc.xs4all.nl
2024-06-15 11:23:36 UTC
Post by HenryHH
Sometimes I want to use a 16-bit Forth system, and in this case
I use DX-Forth running in DOSBox.
DX-Forth is complete, well organized, and it comes with good
documentation.
In my opinion, this is the best 16-bit Forth system that is available
today.
There are more good forths available that run in DOSBox.
FPC is particularly complete, comes also with hypertreading documentation.
--
Don't praise the day before the evening. One swallow doesn't make spring.
You must not say "hey" before you have crossed the bridge. Don't sell the
the air. First gain is a cat purring. - the Wise from Antrim -
HenryHH
2024-06-16 10:14:32 UTC
Post by a***@spenarnc.xs4all.nl
There are more good forths available that run in DOSBox.
Absolutely, there have been many good 16-bit Forth systems
in the past. I have used LMI PC/FORTH in the 90s for control
of automatic measuring systems in the laboratory.
Also played with Tom Zimmer's F-PC once in a while.

The problem is that these systems are no longer maintained.

It is a pity that Ray Duncan never made his excellent
UR/FORTH compiler available as freeware when he decided to
pursue a different career.

For me, DX-Forth stands out for the following reasons:
- It is ANS compatible
- I can include Forth code as regular text files
- It is publicly available and free
- It is still maintained (and very well maintained)

In DX-Forth, I felt home immediately. It is very easy
to port code from SwiftForth to DX-Forth.
Even assembly code uses rather similar syntax.
DX-Forth (16 bit) complements SwiftForth (32 and 64 bit)
nicely.

There is no need to use a block file editor.
I use TextPad for editing (with syntax highlighting),
then include the text files into the Forth compiler.
Working in Windows and DOSBox at the same time.
Very convenient.

Henry

dxf
2024-06-15 11:35:12 UTC
Post by HenryHH
Sometimes I want to use a 16-bit Forth system, and in this case
I use DX-Forth running in DOSBox.
DX-Forth is complete, well organized, and it comes with good
documentation.
In my opinion, this is the best 16-bit Forth system that is available
today.
Thank you for the good work and for sharing it with us.
Henry
Thanks for the kind words, Henry. For a while I was convinced only I was
using it :)

While DX-Forth fits a niche for smallish applications and has the advantage
of being a little more modern, it would have difficulty competing with F-PC
and commercial systems such as UR/Forth, HS-Forth to name two. But then
Forth is as much about building something one is comfortable with. I just
wish it hadn't taken so long :)