GreenArrays status
Add Reply
Luca Saiu
2024-04-27 19:00:41 UTC
Once in a while I toy with the idea of buying a GA144 development board
to play with it, without any particularly practical purpose.

When I looked yesterday I noticed that the server
https://greenarraychips.com was down. It still is.

Does anybody here know whether GreenArrays is still active? Even from
my simple observer's point of view it would be sad to see them go.
--
Luca Saiu -- https://ageinghacker.net
I support everyone's freedom of mocking any opinion or belief, no
enthusiasm of a toddler who has just learned the word "poo".
Paul Rubin
2024-04-27 23:31:54 UTC
Post by Luca Saiu
When I looked yesterday I noticed that the server
https://greenarraychips.com was down. It still is.
Down for me too, along with greenarrays.com and arrayforth.com.
Post by Luca Saiu
Does anybody here know whether GreenArrays is still active? Even from
my simple observer's point of view it would be sad to see them go.
Even if the company was no longer doing much, keeping the web site up
would have been nice.

Maybe someone acquainted with the GA folks could make an inquiry.

Tbh I wouldn't know what to do with their dev board if I had one.
Booting Polyforth on it and testing "2 2 + ." doesn't seem that
interesting for a board that expensive.
dxf
2024-04-28 01:12:54 UTC
It's making the programmer's life easier - no? :)
Luca Saiu
2024-05-03 23:09:31 UTC
Post by Paul Rubin
Tbh I wouldn't know what to do with their dev board if I had one.
Booting Polyforth on it and testing "2 2 + ." doesn't seem that
interesting for a board that expensive.
I like writing compilers. Targeting that platform would be a
particularly difficult exercise, of course.
Luca Saiu
2024-05-03 23:08:05 UTC
Post by Luca Saiu
Once in a while I toy with the idea of buying a GA144 development board
to play with it, without any particularly practical purpose.
When I looked yesterday I noticed that the server
https://greenarraychips.com was down. It still is.
Update: the web site is now back on, and specifies that the GreenArrays
headquarters moved. The enterprise seems active.

Nice. I might get a development board after all.
dxf
2024-05-04 03:29:53 UTC
Post by Luca Saiu
Post by Luca Saiu
Once in a while I toy with the idea of buying a GA144 development board
to play with it, without any particularly practical purpose.
When I looked yesterday I noticed that the server
https://greenarraychips.com was down. It still is.
Update: the web site is now back on, and specifies that the GreenArrays
headquarters moved. The enterprise seems active.
Nice. I might get a development board after all.
The blurb anticipates "many youngsters" wanting to learn to program their chips.
They must be well-heeled youngsters :)
Paul Rubin
2024-05-04 20:38:27 UTC
Post by Luca Saiu
Update: the web site is now back on, and specifies that the GreenArrays
headquarters moved. The enterprise seems active.
Ah nice, site is back up for me too. It says GA has moved to rural
northern Missouri. Wow.
Post by Luca Saiu
Nice. I might get a development board after all.
Regarding writing compilers, you should look at Tikhon Jelvis's articles
about his Chlorophyll compiler for the GA.

If it were me, I'd start out with simulation instead of a dev board. YMMV.
Luca Saiu
2024-05-05 21:39:21 UTC
Post by Paul Rubin
If it were me, I'd start out with simulation instead of a dev board. YMMV.
That is good advice in general, yes. I might follow it, or otherwise
choose fun over convenience.